Our Club is all about you, the members: taking part, getting better, having fun. We have over a hundred experienced and novice athletes of all ages and abilities. Some have represented the UK and many more compete in different local and national events.
We really do enjoy seeing people progress and develop against their personal goals. However a basic level of competence and fitness must exist in order for us to provide events and coaching sessions that are safe and effective. So if you have never exercised, ridden a bike or swum before, then we are very happy to introduce you to other local coaches and clubs to help you reach that basic level of competence and fitness.
Senior Membership is open to anyone over 18 years of age. Junior Membership is free for those under 18 and they are welcome to join in but we do ask you come on at least two social rides to become familiar with group riding skills. Our under 16 junior members must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian.
Our offer to you
We want to help you to reach your goals in your new sport – and have fun on the way. Whether it is cycling in its different forms, running, swimming or triathlon, we can:
- Connect you with fellow athletes and participants in the Newmarket area
- Connect you with the governing and local bodies we are affiliated with
- Help you develop, train and reach your goals
- Give you access to great discounts and advice on kit, competing and treatments
- Give you opportunities to compete and advance notice of events
- Give you the right to wear NCTC cycle and triathlon kit and leisure wear
With all this, we think our membership fee represents incredible value for money.
Coaching and support
We are fortunate to have experienced and qualified coaches who lead weekly running, swimming and riding sessions that will help you improve. Other members are also a great source of encouragement: there is almost certainly someone who has struggled with exactly the same point of technique, strength or endurance as you.
Please note there is a small additional charge per swim and time-trial session to cover coaching and administration costs.
A great Club spirit
There is a vibrant Facebook community for members and those interested in triathlon and cycling. During the week, training sessions and the weekend club rides throughout the year are a great chance to get to know other club members. The club spring weekend in Derbyshire is a firm favourite and we are also planning shorter weekend/overnight breaks in the UK in 2018.
There are a variety of local and national events through the season that we take part in and compete in together where we can. Members arrange informal socials and quizzes in local pubs and restaurants throughout the year – and our annual Awards Dinner is where prizes are handed out and reputations are made!
What we expect from members
We think membership is a two-way street and so we expect members to: act responsibly, think about their own safety and others’, support the club and promote their sport.
Before joining us, we ask you to agree to:
- Take responsibility for your fitness to train and compete. Training and competition are physically and mentally demanding – good preparation is vital for enjoyment and success. Take professional advice if in any doubt.
- Take responsibility for your conduct at all times. You are expected to act in the best interests of the Club and with consideration and responsibility towards other Members and the public at all times – especially when training with or representing the Club.
- Help make our club events a success. All members are required to support at least one of our three main events each year: the spring triathlon, the summer duathlon or our autumn triathlon. These are well-regarded and well-attended events but they need the support of members to succeed. There are also other opportunities to support the club and fellow members during our weekly time trials and at other occasional events.
While not a condition of membership, we do ask you to consider joining British Cycling and/or the British Triathlon Federation. Our club is affiliated to these governing bodies. They set the standards, host the events and generally promote the sports we participate in. Membership of these is a great way to support your sport – and carries its own benefits including insurance cover for while you train and compete.