We encourage questions! If your question is not answered here then just send us an email.
I’m just getting into the sport, can I still join? Will I slow you down?
We’d love to have you onboard! We have members of all abilities and always welcome new ones. We get a kick out of seeing people set goals and then achieve them. Whether it is a first 300m swim, a first 100 mile bike ride (or a first 25 mile ride!) or even a first half marathon in less than 2 hours – there will be someone to help and someone else who was in your shoes once, or who is pushing for the same goal.
If you have never ridden a bike or swum before then if necessary we can put you in touch with local coaches who will give you extra help to take the very first steps in those sports.
For example, we have bike rides on weekends (called our “club rides”). These are sociable affairs that we split into a couple of groups to suit the abilities of the riders who turn up. The slower group go at the pace of the slowest rider. In 2016 we are introducing ride leaders and pre-defined routes so you can decide for yourself if it is the right length – and if it stops at the right coffee shop!
What are the benefits of joining?
The main benefits are meeting like-minded people and having fun but there are many other tangible benefits:
- Weekend club rides – check our facebook page for latest details and club chatter.
- A weekly affiliated time-trial series during the summer evenings.
- A weekly programme of coached swimming and running sessions all year round.
- Weekly coached turbo sessions during the winter.
- Financial support for club members who are competing at high profile events.
- Use of club equipment for a small charge – we have our own bike box for example
- Discounts for Members in local bike shops, kit and treatment suppliers.
- Access to our sought after (!) range of Newmarket Club racing kit and leisure wear.
- Did we mention friendly training buddies?
Can I also join other clubs? What is my “first claim”?
We encourage links with other clubs and welcome anyone who wants to join ours. However, like other clubs, we respect the first claim principle: you can be a member of other clubs, but you need to state clearly where your first claim lies. This will affect access to some of the limited offers he club makes to members from time to time.